Thursday, March 15, 2012

Odds and Ends

I thought I'd pass along a few items of interest that have come across my computer screen in the last couple of days.

First, you may recall that I said Pyr books was the number one publisher you should be reading in 2012, and I stand by that statement.  The latest electronic newsletter, Pyr-a-zine, has an interview with Jon Sprunk, whose Shadow trilogy concludes this month with Shadow's Master (reviewed here). I would include a link, but the interview is an exclusive to the newsletter.  Another advantage to the newsletter is it contains an exclusive discount on one of the Pyr titles.  You can subscribe at the Pyr main page on their website.

Bradley P. Beaulieu is holding a giveaway to promote the forthcoming publication of The Straits of GalaheshNight Shade Books was second on my list of publishers you should be reading, and Beaulieu's debut novel, The Winds of Khalakovo was one of the main reasons why.  There are some cool prizes in the giveaway, including tablets and ereaders.  Details are here

Beaulieu is also giving away copies of his short science fiction novel, Strata, that he co-wrote with Stephen Gaskell.  The giveaway is next Tuesday and Wednesday, March 20 and 21.  I recently reviewed Strata and found it to be exciting, fast-paced, and a lot of fun.

And speaking of The Straits of Galahesh, it's in my list of titles to review.   It's number 3 on the list, after Echo City by Tim Lebbon and Trang by Mary Sission.  Echo City is for the David Gemmell Awards, but I'll post a link to the review here when it goes live.  Trang is science fiction, so that review will be posted over at Futures Past and Present.  After that, I'll review The Alchemist of Souls by Anne Lyle, which hits shelves here in the US at the end of the month.

With all the novels I've been reviewing, I've had very little time to read any short fiction or work on my own writing.  As a result I'm going to cut back on the number of novels I review once I fulfill my current commitments (approximately 3 others not listed).  I'm also going to punctuate the novel reviews and other posts with some short fiction centric posts, like the one the other day on the current issue of Beneath Ceaseless Skies.  I'll still accept review copies, but I'm going to be a lot pickier for the next few months.  There's a lot of great short fiction I want to read (and hopefully write).  Working in academia means I don't have much time during the academic year as I would like, which is why the frequency of posts here and at Futures Past and Present have slowed down since the middle of January..  Things should pick back up during the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Winds of Khalakovo Kindle version is available for free as part of the NSB promotion, too - I grabbed mine last night.

    ReplyDelete